Welcome

-This is my page where I intend to share my thoughts and ideas. Some of what I post is like the paintings of René Magritte (there is no meaning intended in them). Some things I post will hopefully spark a thought in you that will lead to something good. I have stories, essays, poems, et cetera. I hope you enjoy what I've written.
-More important than that though, is what you think. Please, I encourage you to share your thoughts. Leave comments after each post to tell what's going on in your head. (click on the word "comments" below the post to do this) Don't worry too much about making sense or sounding sane, just share whatever thoughts are passing through your brain. You can go ahead and be completely random if you like. You don't even have to agree with everything you say. This is a place where your thoughts are welcome.
-You can also read comments that others have left, and leave comments that relate to those comments. Have a discussion. When you leave a comment, make sure the "e-mail follow up comments to..." box is checked so that you'll be updated if anyone else has a comment regarding the thoughts you share.
---S.Z.Q.Salway

Looking Glass Eyes's Facebook Wall

Rooted in Order, Branching to Chaos

¶ I was just reading about trees. I learned that although there are many art pieces that depict root systems that are not very wide, roots actually spread out in a radius significantly large. They tend to spread farther when the branches are wider or reaching higher. There are several kinds of roots, some of which are permanent and some of which are only seasonal. Anchor roots support the tree, and others give it water and nutrients. If an anchor root is cut, a large percentage of the root system may die, potentially leading to the death of the whole tree, or the toppling of it. Not very many of the roots actually go very deep, but spread out within about a foot of the surface.
¶ In forests, trees shelter each other from the elements with their branches. When a tree is alone and exposed, winds can more easily knock it down if the root system isn't sufficient to support it's heavy trunk and branches. Branches that are dead, diseased, or that rub against each other should be removed to protect the tree from sickness. Of course if too many of the branches are cut, that too will damage the tree, creating several exposed wounds and decreasing the light that can be photosynthesised. In Oregon, the neighbours cut off several of the branches on one side of a tree in my front yard. In the following months, the branches on the other side died and fell off, as if the tree was trying to get its balance back. Only the branches in the middle remained to keep it alive until a friend with more understanding of tree care could come and work with it.
¶ I also found it interesting that arborists begin to train trees when they are young, improving both their health and their aesthetic value. Properties with trees often sell for more, so construction workers like to build by trees. Unfortunately in doing so they often cut or suffocate the roots, so the home buyer looses the tree a few years later, and many people don't realize why.
¶ I'm happy to still be living among many trees. I always loved it in Oregon, looking out over my neighbourhood and seeing a forest of green. Living here, I am still surrounded by life.

Update: Click here to answer a questionnaire about this post.

5 comments:

  1. I love trees. It is hard to have so few here in New Mexico. In upstate New York the trees would gain so much color in the fall. Hiking in Watkins Glen A large oak leaf the size of my head fell from the canopy above and drifted down to me. It was such a vibrant orange and red.
    I always wanted to get a tree and grow it like a bonzi. My friend Jake tried once, don't know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure like living in the forest called Oregon. Even in new housing areas it doesn't take many years for the forest affect to take over.
    If this is more than a passing interest you may want to look into arbor care as a prfession. Could be fun and rewarding. I have often thought that if my life didn't take other fascinating directions that I might have gone this direction or landscaping and related work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved trees. I named my first child after one of my favorites. There are so many varieties and uses for trees. We have a particular Japanese Maple in our back yard that was shaped very well when it was young that our land lord is very proud of. He has been offered a large sum of money for it. although I have always loved trees, I have been frustrated with the size and amount of trees in our yard, because it makes it difficult to get enough sun for a garden. Trees do give a nice sense of security though. Except when they fall on your house or the roots break your pipes under ground. I hope that never happens to me. It is fascinating to learn about trees and plants. Perhaps trees should not be too close to homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trees are wondrous creations. Since the beginning there have been trees. The Tree of Life, the Tree in Lehi's dream...The symbolism of the tree and roots for our genealogy.
    I loved climbing trees as a child and enjoy sitting beneath them now. I love walking in the woods among a canopy of tall, majestic trees. The variety of trees, like flowers is such a blessing. All the colors, textures, sizes and shapes of trees make this a much more interesting world.
    I wouldn't thrive well in a desert without trees in the landscape. They offer homes to the wildlife that I also enjoy viewing.
    I do not like having to take over their domain or having them take over mine when misplanted though. I think too many people do not think it through when they plant a tree. It is a living, growing thing and needs space. I like that they support one another through their root systems and entertwining of overhead branches. The analogy to our lives is worth noting. Trying to weather storms alone is more difficult than with support of others. --gammaruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if this post was metaphorical?

    ReplyDelete

What's going through your mind after reading that? Write it here, along with anything else that maybe almost at least vaguely relevant.